Thursday, October 4, 2007

A Tale of ONE City !

I never really thought that I would ever be blogging and the best I could ever do was to sit with all my patience and attention and read someone’s article or views, but then everything changes. And so did I. So here I am writing my first Blog, wondering what I should write on. There are so many things right now in my mind, all jumbled up, my mind redefining the whole meaning of what is called CONFUSION. Right from jobs, to further education, staying away from home to freaking out in the night, almost everything has made a home at some corner in my mind. Like people say. I am going through the “Twenty Something Crisis”. Anyways, there is still a lot of time for me to talk about all these things, and besides so many people have written something or the other on these aspects of life, that I just don’t feel like talking about these things anymore.
My good old friend, Sahil Jain says, that “Happiness is relative, sometimes you spend your entire life looking for happiness and still you find yourself unhappy at the end”. (Don’t really know whether he came up with this quote or simply copy pasted it from some place!!). And thus I asked myself the question – “Am I Happy?” and the answer to this question also came spontaneously. No prizes for guessing what my answer was. More than half the times my mind comes up with the same reply for every question that is popped to me – “hmmm,,,,I don’t really know!!” So that’s my situation. Working in Gurgaon for the past 7 months for a research company, I don’t really know whether I am happy or not!! Anyways…that’s really not what I will write about. Don’t think there are people out there who would be interested in knowing about a stranger and to be speaking more specifically, about whether someone is happy or not. But what I will be surely writing about is something which many a people like me can associate themselves with. I will be writing about “Gurgaon”.D(["mb","\u003c/span\>\u003c/font\>\u003c/p\>\n\n\u003cp\>\u003cfont size\u003d\"3\" face\u003d\"Times New Roman\"\>\u003cspan style\u003d\"font-size:12.0pt\"\> \u003c/span\>\u003c/font\>\u003c/p\>\n\n\u003cp\>\u003cfont size\u003d\"3\" face\u003d\"Times New Roman\"\>\u003cspan style\u003d\"font-size:12.0pt\"\>Gurgaon is not situated in the National\nCapital Territory\nbut is still considered to be a part of the National Capital Region and is one\nof Delhi's four\nmajor satellite cities. It is considered to be one of the fastest growing\ncities in India.\nTall mighty structures and large flyovers and not to forget the countless\nnumber of Shopping malls that this city provides. One does get mesmerized by\nits scenic beauty (I am talking about Infrastructure here!!) . It was around\nSeptember last year ( I think it was 9\u003csup\>th\u003c/sup\> September !) that I shifted\nfrom Hyderabad to\nGurgaon. Before coming to Gurgaon, I was studying in Pune. My friends had told\nme that I was one lucky chap, and that I would be having one hell of a time in\nGurgaon. I had done my primary education in Delhi,\nso even I was kind of excited to shift to Gurgaon (Delhi makes me go Nostalgic). So here I was\nin Gurgaon, ready to begin my career and start one of the most important phase\nin my life. I was equally excited to have some good fun and make my stay in\nGurgaon really memorable. Something which I could cherish for the rest of my\nlife. And then, I got the shock!!!\u003c/span\>\u003c/font\>\u003c/p\>\n\n\u003cp\>\u003cfont size\u003d\"3\" face\u003d\"Times New Roman\"\>\u003cspan style\u003d\"font-size:12.0pt\"\> \u003c/span\>\u003c/font\>\u003c/p\>\n\n\u003cp\>\u003cfont size\u003d\"3\" face\u003d\"Times New Roman\"\>\u003cspan style\u003d\"font-size:12.0pt\"\>Back in Pune and Hyderabad\nI remember complaining ( not to civic authorities, but more of criticizing the\nGovernment to myself ) that the public transport was not really up to the\nlevel. Now I don’t do that anymore. I have realized, thanks to the\neye-opening situation in places like Gurgaon and Delhi,\nthat I have realized, how good the transportation facilities were available\nback in Pune and Hyderabad.\u003c/span\>\u003c/font\>\u003c/p\>\n\n\u003cp\>\u003cfont size\u003d\"3\" face\u003d\"Times New Roman\"\>\u003cspan style\u003d\"font-size:12.0pt\"\> \u003c/span\>\u003c/font\>\u003c/p\>\n\n\u003cp\>\u003cfont size\u003d\"3\" face\u003d\"Times New Roman\"\>",1]);//-->
Gurgaon is not situated in the National Capital Territory but is still considered to be a part of the National Capital Region and is one of Delhi's four major satellite cities. It is considered to be one of the fastest growing cities in India. Tall mighty structures and large flyovers and not to forget the countless number of Shopping malls that this city provides. One does get mesmerized by its scenic beauty (I am talking about Infrastructure here!!) . It was around September last year ( I think it was 9th September !) that I shifted from Hyderabad to Gurgaon. Before coming to Gurgaon, I was studying in Pune. My friends had told me that I was one lucky chap, and that I would be having one hell of a time in Gurgaon. I had done my primary education in Delhi, so even I was kind of excited to shift to Gurgaon (Delhi makes me go Nostalgic). So here I was in Gurgaon, ready to begin my career and start one of the most important phase in my life. I was equally excited to have some good fun and make my stay in Gurgaon really memorable. Something which I could cherish for the rest of my life. And then, I got the shock!!!
Back in Pune and Hyderabad I remember complaining ( not to civic authorities, but more of criticizing the Government to myself ) that the public transport was not really up to the level. Now I don’t do that anymore. I have realized, thanks to the eye-opening situation in places like Gurgaon and Delhi, that I have realized, how good the transportation facilities were available back in Pune and Hyderabad.
“Don’t dare to roam around after 9 PM. Forget about all those night outs, those coffee breaks and the long drives at night” That’s the advice that I got from my cousin when I had arrived. Back then I had hardly given it a thought. But the truth has slowly crept in me now.
It’s a routine now to hear about the murders and the robbery. The mobile and jewellery snatching, the innumerable theft and the list just goes on. You get scandalized every day. And believe me, it’s a totally different feeling everyday. A feeling that makes you wonders. Is there anything else which is left to happen?
Security is shocking!! To be very clear, this place is a living nightmare during the night. You can’t see anybody moving around after 9-10. You will be lucky if you can find a grocery shop open. You will be even luckier if you can find the street lights on. No buses, no auto rickshaws, absolutely nothing (For the people who don’t even have a bike, Cycle rickshaws are the only way for commuting).
Gurgaon is for those people who have a big bank account, who have even bigger cars, and who can spend money lavishly. There are only two types of people surviving out here. The extremely rich and the extremely poor.I have adjusted to the place now. I know the places and the people. I know when to move and when not to. But I miss my life of Hyderabad and Pune.
Summing it up, it’s wildlife out here. And it is surely the survival of the fittest. Till then I am signing off, and hopefully will be back with something more interesting to share next time. J

No comments:

Anantscript

List of added items

Followers